Clare’s Bed

For Clare’s graduation from College, I gave her this bed that I made.  I had told Clare that I would make her anything she wanted for her graduation gift and she selected this bed from a Thos Moser design.  Fortunately for me, she made her choice in the summer prior to her graduation.  It took me a while to make this bed.

Clares Bed

[img src=]1400Finished Bed! Ready to deliver to Clare.
[img src=]990Here is the original in the ThosMoser showroom in Freeport, Maine
Thankfully, Clare let me know a year in advance that she wanted this as her Graduation present.
[img src=]650View of the original headboard.
[img src=]510Detail view of the original headboard.
[img src=]440Detail view of the original headboard.
[img src=]410Detail view of the original headboard.
[img src=]380Detail view of the original Footboard.
[img src=]370Detail view of the original Footboard.
[img src=]350View of Clare's Headboard
[img src=]310View of Clare's Footboard
[img src=]330Detail of Clare's Headboard.
[img src=]310Another viewpoint.
[img src=]320Footboard perspective.
Note the custom bolt hole covers.
[img src=]300Footboard
[img src=]320Closeup of the footpost.
[img src=]380Closeup of the bolt hole cover.
[img src=]320Congratulations, Clare!
[img src=]270Started out with a big collection of Cherry!
[img src=]230And a massive hunk of 12/4 material for the bed posts.
[img src=]210Big hunk reduced to manageable posts with my previous bandsaw.
[img src=]210The pieces were left in the family room to keep stable.
[img src=]310Here I am, cutting one of the 50 or so mortises required for this project.
[img src=]290Posts and struts ready for assembly
[img src=]290Jig to cut the bed rail tenons.
[img src=]260Finished rails.
[img src=]290Dry fit footboard.
[img src=]300Dry fit Headboard and footboard, everything's ready for finishing.
[img src=]260Making the bolt hole covers was interesting.
I used drawer pulls with the Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie pattern, cut off the threaded bushing, and had to fabricate miniframes for each one. This is the jig I used to make the miniframes.
[img src=]280Ready to route out the square hole for the pull faces.
[img src=]240Here is what the strip looked like after routing some of the pieces.
The pieces were done as one strip. Partly to make sure the wood matched in color and grain, but also it was easier to hold the larger piece and then slice the individual frames after machining.
[img src=]250The miniframes prior to sanding.
[img src=]230The bolt hole cover assembly.
The drawer pull bushing was pushed through the miniframe and into a hole in a nylon hole plug. The pieces were held together with epoxy and the hole plug retains the assembly in the bolt hole counterbore.
[img src=]250Finished product.
[img src=]250Another view.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


WordPress theme: Kippis 1.12